The most brilliant aspect of "The Island" is the way all these soldiers partying feels--and is--exactly the same as every, a little too crazy beer party you attended in high-school or college: People puking, people not having a good time, people having too good of a time, fun fighting, not so fun fighting, everybody wanting to do it with somebody, etc. etc. It treats the soldiers no different than the rest of us beer-drinking goons, which happens less in representations of war than you'd expect. They aren't idealized and they aren't demonized.
One of the sub-highlights of the issue was Brian Wood's 'Vertigo Voices' column, wherein he admits that his experience with Staten Island, "aside from listening to old Wu-Tang cassettes, is limited to visiting twice" and quickly recounts a house party he attended, and then gives the column over to everyone that works on DMZ to drop a list of "top 5 beer drinking/house party/shout along/get fucked up/DMZ rock-out mix tape songs...". What's so awesome about everybody's list is how it's no bullshit. No one seems like they're trying to be cool or clever or snobby...everyone just picked great party songs that they liked!
Here are our lists, what's on yours?
-"Stay Fly" by Three-Six Mafia
-"I Like It" by Grand Puba
-"Die By the Sword" by Slayer
-"Broken Down But Not Locked Up" by Eyehategod
-"Starz" by Jaylib
-"Work Out Plan" by Kanye West
-"Party Til You Puke" by Andrew W.K.
-"Doom Doom Doom!" by Latterman
-"Dance My Pain Away" by Rod Lee
-"Lose Control" by Missy Elliot
- "Boogie Shoes" by KC and the Sunshine Band
- "Testin' My Gangsta" by Three 6 Mafia
- "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love" by Van Halen
- " Conversation" by Mannie Fresh
- "You and I" by Rick James
- "Conceited" by Remy Ma
- "Get It Girl" by 2 Live Crew
- "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody" by Kid N' Play
- "Tipsy" by J-Kwon
- "Born Slippy" by Underworld
- "I Luv Your Girl" by The Dream
- "We Laugh At Danger (And Break All the Rules)" by Against Me!
- "Nu Autobahn" by Future Islands
- "Five Finger Discount" by Choking Victim
- "El Scorcho" by Weezer
- "Bad Mouth" by Fugazi
- "Car Thief" by Beastie Boys
- "Youth Decay" by Sleater Kinney
- "I Am a Tree" by Guided By Voices
- "Letter To Memphis" by Pixies