11/20/2008

Where My Money Went - Nov. 19th


Every Wednesday I push the limits of my budget for my comic addiction. This is where my money went this week:


The entire Avengers Invaders series has been okay. Throughout the series, Captain America and the rest of the Invaders never seem frightened enough by the fact that they have time-traveled, writing everything strange and new off to being a Nazi trick. The art is baffling, Alex Ross out of his element, having to draw comic books like normal people instead of the boring poses he usually uses. The pencils are stiff and the coloring just puts another nail in the coffin. The colors and inks (oh wait, there aren't any...) make Ross' art look like paint-by-numbers.

Issue #6 revolves around the S.H.I.E.L.D. L.M.D.s (Life Model Decoys) becoming "aware", thanks to the Original Human Torch's anger towards the human's use of robots which makes him think of the Nazis he was fighting in his own time. The S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier's acting up as well, which leads us to believe Torch isn't the real force behind it all. It's nice to see the story not revolve around Captain America or Namor, since they are both still active members of the MU and you know, not dead, but with six more issues to go, I don't know if I'll care next month.

Samurai: Legend is still one of my favorite monthly comics, even at $5.99. Samurai comics are a hard sell to a lot of people, usually because they are generally in that really scary manga form, but this one is done by two European dudes which gives it a fresh feeling and makes it accessible to snobs who won't read backwards. Samurai: Legend's secret is that isn't a samurai myth or legend as it's name suggests, but really just an insane science fiction comic. There are people coming back to life, sacred tattoos, monsters and you know, titties. This issue, Takeo and his companions split up due to trust being broken, and the secret of Takeo's brother and lineage is about to be revealed. There's only one issue left! I literally counted pennies so I could buy this book, that's how good it is.

No comments: